Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
laboratory practice – 2 hours weekly (on-site method)
Automation and Information Engineering in Chemistry and Food Industry – master (full-time, attendance method), 3. semester
Level of study:
Prerequisites for registration:
- attendance at seminars
- final test at least 56%
Learning outcomes of the course unit:
The focus of this course is on learning the fundamentals of networking. Students will learn both the practical and conceptual skills that build the foundation for understanding basic networking. They will be introduced to the two major models used to plan and implement networks: OSI and TCP/IP. They will become familiar with the various network devices, network addressing schemes , types of media used to carry data across the network, LAN/ WAN technologies and protocols, security and the wireless. This course also introduce to understand of how Internet works, how a router learns about remote networks (static and dynamic routing) and how the switch communicates with other switches and routers in the network to implement VLAN segmentation.
1. Introduction, Operations of Data Network, Network Diagrams, Network Applications, LANs vs. WANs
2. Networking Basis, TCP/IP and OSI model
3. WAN technologies, and Physical layer,
4. LAN Ethernet
5. IP addressing, IPv4, IPv6
6. IP services (ARP, DNS, ACL, NAT)
7. Introduction to the routers, basic router configuration (IP addresses,clock, duplex/speed, show commands, static routes…)
8. Practice lab with basic router setup
9. Routing protocols - OSPF
10. Practice lab with basic OSPF configuration
11. Routing protocols - EIGRP
12. Practice lab with basic EIGRP configuration
13. Switching (basic switch configuration, MAC, CAM table, VLANs, trunk, STP, port security…)
14. Practice lab with switches
Recommended or required reading:
TANENBAUM, A. Computer Networks. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 2010. 960 s. ISBN 0-13-212695-8.
KABELOVÁ, A. – DOSTÁLEK, L. Velký průvodce protokoly TCP/IP a systémem DNS. Brno : Computer Press, 2012. 488 s. ISBN 978-80-251-2236-5.
LAMMLE, T. CCNA. Cisco Certified Network Associate: Výukový průvodce přípravou na zkoušku 640 - 802. Brno : Computer Press, 2010. 928 s. ISBN 978-80-251-2359-1.
Institute of Information Engineering, Automation and Mathematics was established in 1.1.2006 from two departments: Department of Information Engineering and Process Control and Department of Mathematics.