- Course unit code:
- Course unit title:
- Laboratory of Physics
- Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
- laboratory practice – 2 hours weekly (on-site method)
- Credits allocated:
- Recommended semester:
- Biotechnológia – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Chemical Engineering – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Chemistry, Medical Chemistry and Chemical Materials – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Potraviny, výživa, kozmetika – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Automation, Information Engineering and Management in Chemistry and Food Industry – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
- Level of study:
- Prerequisites for registration:
- Assesment methods:
- Successful passing of an entrance test at the beginning of every laboratory work.
Get through all laboratory works.
Successful handing in of the reports of all laboratory works.
- Learning outcomes of the course unit:
- The student acquires experimental skills and practical experience in measuring basic physical properties. He can treat and analyze experimental results, estimate the error/uncertainty of direct and indirect measurements. He has basic knowledge of electricity and magnetism, mechanical and electromagnetic waves, quantum physics and nuclear physics.
- Course contents:
||Laboratory exercises on mechanics (allowance 0/18)
||Introduction to laboratory exercises, basics on measurements of physical quantities, fundamental of evaluation of measurements, uncertainty of measurements, methods of data treatment and proper data evaluation from experiment. Standard report on measurement.
||Measurements of fundamental quantities in mechanics : length, weight and volume.
||Determination of the acceleration of free fall with help of the cone pendulum, graph and least squares method. Exemplary calculation on the linear regression.
||Measurement of the modulus of elasticity of a wire from its elongation.
||Determination of the moment of inertia using the method of physical pendulum.
||Measurement of density of liquids -- the pycnometer method and with the immersed body method.
||Measurement of viscosity of liquids using Stokes's method.
||Measurement of the speed of sound by means of resonance, measurement of the modulus of elasticity of a metal rod with help of the Kund tube.
||Measurement of the density of a diffraction grating with the help of a laser.
||Laboratory exercises on electricity (allowance 0/8)
||In the beginning student is introduced into the basics of measurements of electrical quantities, the grounds of connecting of
||Measurement of capacity dependence of a parallel plate capacitor upon the overlap area
||Measurement of the dependence of resistivity of a conductor and semi-conductor upon temperature
||Measurement of power of a heating body
- Recommended or required reading:
- LUKEŠ, V. – ANNUS, J. – FEDORKO, P. – HOLÁ, O. – ILČIN, M. – KLEIN, E. Fyzika (Praktikum). Nakladateľstvo STU, 2011. 263 s. ISBN 978-80-227-3570-4.
- WALKER, J. – HALLIDAY, D. – RESNICK, R. Fundamentals of physics. New York : John Wiley & Sons, 2008. 1248 s. ISBN 978-0-471-75801-3.
- LICHARDOVÁ, Z. – POSPÍŠILOVÁ, P. Applied physics II: Textbook. Bratislava : STU v Bratislave SjF KF, 2002.
- Language of instruction:
- Slovak, English
- Assessed students in total:
A 8.2 %
B 29.7 %
C 39.6 %
D 18.6 %
E 3.9 %
FX 0 %
- Course supervisor:
- Ing. Július Annus
- Last modification:
- 19. 9. 2019
Department of Chemical Physics