- Course unit code:
- Course unit title:
- Anorganic Chemistry Laboratory Practice
- Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
- laboratory practice – 2 hours weekly (on-site method)
- Credits allocated:
- Recommended semester:
- Biotechnológia – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Chemical Engineering – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Potraviny, výživa, kozmetika – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
Automation, Information Engineering and Management in Chemistry and Food Industry – bachelor (full-time, attendance method), 2. semester
- Level of study:
- Prerequisites for registration:
- Assesment methods:
- The proof of knowledge from inorganic chemistry for the practical exercises - students will write tests from every laboratory experiments from inorganic chemistry - 20 points.
The chemical calculations - test 20 points, required minimum is 11 points.
Students will get credits for the course if they successfully pass both, the theoretical part (the written tests - 40 points) and also pass all laboratory experiments (60 points).
Students are graded as follows:
A 92-100 points, B 83-91 points, C 74-82 points, D 65-73 points, E 56-64 points
- Learning outcomes of the course unit:
- The aim of the subject is to provide students with the principles of work in chemical laboratory, observing the safety measures within their activities in chemical laboratories and to train them in basic chemical procedures. In the frame of the practise, chemical properties of inorganic compounds, course of selected chemical reactions, methods of their following and products isolation are documented. Theoretical part overlaps with experiments and calculations.
- Course contents:
- Work in the chemical laboratory, basic safety measures to be observed. Laboratory equipment.
Purification and separation of chemical compounds - crystallization from solution.
Acid - Base Reactions - Synthesis of K2SO4.
Precipitation of sparingly soluble compound - Synthesis of BaSO4.
Reactions of inorganic compounds in water solution.
Oxidation - Reduction Reactions - Synthesis of Cu.
Synthesis of Coordination compounds - Synthesis of [Ni(NH3)6]Cl2 and [Cu(H2O)(NH2CH3COO)2].
- Recommended or required reading:
- ONDREJKOVIČOVÁ, I. – IZAKOVIČ, M. – MAŠLEJOVÁ, A. – PAPÁNKOVÁ, B. – TATARKO, M. Anorganická chémia: Praktikum. Bratislava : STU v Bratislave, 2010. 237 s. ISBN 978-80-227-3291-8.
- VALIGURA, D. – LÁSIKOVÁ, A. – GRACZA, T. Chemické tabuľky. Bratislava: STU Bratislava, 2011. 456 s. ISBN 978-80-227-3565-0.
- MAŠLEJOVÁ, A. – ONDREJKOVIČOVÁ, I. – PAPÁNKOVÁ, B. – KOTOČOVÁ, A. – VALIGURA, D. Výpočty v anorganickej chémii. Bratislava: Nakladateľstvo STU, 2012. 167 s. ISBN 978-80-227-3804-0.
- SEGĽA, P. – ŠIMA, J. – KOMAN, M. Anorganická chémia. Bratislava: Nakladateľstvo STU, 2013. 480 s. ISBN 978-80-227-4068-5.
- Language of instruction:
- Slovak, English
- Assessed students in total:
A 40.9 %
B 37.1 %
C 15.6 %
D 3.2 %
E 0.7 %
FX 2.5 %
- Last modification:
- 19. 9. 2019
Department of Inorganic Chemistry