- Project number:
- GuEst 790017
- Title of the project:
- New Directions in Guaranteed Estimation of Nonlinear Dynamic Systems and Their Applications to Chemical Engineering Problems
- Grant scheme:
- Project type:
- European Projects
- Project duration (start):
- Project duration (end):
- Principal investigator:
- Radoslav Paulen
- Project coordinator:
- Miroslav Fikar
Financing: European Commission - Horizon 2020
Scheme: MSCA-IF-EF-ST (Individual fellowship)
Project dates: June 1, 2018 - May 31, 2020
Persons: M. Fikar (project coordinator), R. Paulen (principal investigator)
The technique of guaranteed estimation promises a revolutionary step
to how industrial process managers build, handle and adapt the
prediction mathematical models. These are used to monitor the
equipment operating regimes, to train the operating personnel and are
also exploited to steer the plants' behavior towards the most
profitable or the most resource- efficient modes. Advantages of
guaranteed estimation come from the fact that no unnecessary
assumptions must be made regarding the quality and measurement-error
distribution of the sensed data, which establishes an increased
reliability of the obtained estimation results. The work on this
project develops the essential parts of guaranteed estimation
techniques for real-world exploitation. We focus on the estimation of
parameters of the nonlinear dynamic models while combining the
estimation with model validation principles and while creating
a hybrid estimation technique that enjoys the advantages of both
guaranteed estimation and conventional approaches. In order to drive
the operation of the plant, here we focus on the plants of chemical
industry, to an efficient working regime, the technology of optimal
and robust control is required. Our project builds upon the
developments of robust control and develops novel optimal robust
control techniques that incorporate the information on guaranteed
estimates into the actions, i.e. manipulations of the plants' degrees
of freedom. As a result, a safe, reliable and resource-efficient
operation is established. The theoretical developments of the project
are implemented into a software package and released as an open-source
project such that the collaboration with academia and industrial
stakeholders is fostered. A demonstration on a pilot plant is also
planned to showcase the benefits of developed techniques in the
real-world environment. A sound dissemination plan of the project
ensures that the project reaches its target audience.
The results of the project were presented at:
- 10th IFAC International Symposium on Advanced Control of Chemical Processes Shenyang, Liaoning, China, July 25-27, 2018
- 28th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering, Graz, Austria, June 10-13, 2018
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom, February 6, 2019 (R. Paulen "Model-based design of optimal experiments using exact confidence regions") Link
- KU Leuven, Belgium, April 15, 2019 (R. Paulen "Effective recursive parallelotopic bounding for robust output-feedback control") Link
- 12th IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process Systems,
including Biosystems DYCOPS 2019, Florianopolis, Brazil, April 23-26,
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom, June 25, 2019 (R. Paulen "Optimal Control of Membrane Diafiltration Processes") Link
- 22nd International Conference on Process Control, Štrbské Pleso, Slovakia, June 11-14, 2019
- K. Kusumo – L. Gomoescu – R. Paulen – S. García Muñoz – C. C. Pantelides – N. Shah – B. Chachuat: Bayesian Approach to Probabilistic Design Space Characterization: A Nested Sampling Strategy (in ). Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, no. 6, vol. 59, pp. 2396–2408, 2020.
- S. Thangavel – R. Paulen – S. Engell: Adaptive multi-stage NMPC using sigma point principles (in ). In European Control Conference 2020, pp. 196–201, 2020.
- A. R. Gottu Mukkula – R. Paulen: Optimal experiment design in nonlinear parameter estimation with exact confidence regions. Journal of Process Control, vol. 83, pp. 187–195, 2019.
- M. Mojto – K. Ľubušký – M. Fikar – R. Paulen: Design of Data-based Inferential Sensors for Industrial Depropanizer Column. Editor(s): G. Léonard and F. Logist, In Computer Aided Process Engineering, CAPE Forum, pp. 12–13, 2019.
- M. Mojto – R. Paulen – K. Ľubušký – M. Fikar: Modelling and Analysis of Control Pairings of an Industrial Depropanizer Column. In Advanced Process Modelling Forum 26-27 March 2019, pp. 5–6, 2019.
- R. Paulen – M. Fikar: Dynamic real-time optimization of batch processes using Pontryagin’s minimum principle and set-membership adaptation. Computers & Chemical Engineering, vol. 128, pp. 488–495, 2019.
- R. Paulen – M. Fikar: Dual-Control-Based Approach to Batch Process Operation under Uncertainty Based on Optimality-Conditions Parametrization. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, no. 30, vol. 58, pp. 13508–13516, 2019.
- J. Su – Y. Zha – K. Wang – M. Villanueva – R. Paulen – B. Houska: Interval Superposition Arithmetic for Guaranteed Parameter Estimation. In 12th IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process Systems, including Biosystems DYCOPS 2019, Elsevier, pp. 574–579, 2019.
- C. E. Valero – R. Paulen: Set-Theoretic State Estimation for Multi-output Systems using Block and Sequential Approaches. Editor(s): M. Fikar and M. Kvasnica, In Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Process Control, Slovak Chemical Library, Štrbské Pleso, Slovakia, pp. 268–273, 2019.
- C. E. Valero – R. Paulen: Effective Recursive Set-membership State Estimation for Robust Linear MPC. In 12th IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process Systems, including Biosystems DYCOPS 2019, Elsevier, pp. 486–491, 2019.
- P. Valiauga – R. Paulen: Moving-horizon Guaranteed Parameter Estimation: Influence of the Measurement Error. Editor(s): M. Fikar and M. Kvasnica, In Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Process Control, Slovak Chemical Library, Štrbské Pleso, Slovakia, pp. 256–261, 2019.
- P. Valiauga – R. Paulen: Moving-horizon Guaranteed Parameter Estimation. In 12th IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process Systems, including Biosystems DYCOPS 2019, Elsevier, pp. 112–117, 2019.
- M. Villanueva – X. Feng – R. Paulen – B. Chachuat – B. Houska: Convex Enclosures for Constrained Reachability Tubes (in ). In 12th IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process Systems, including Biosystems DYCOPS 2019, Elsevier, pp. 118–123, 2019.
- J. Su – Y. Zha – K. Wang – M. Villanueva – R. Paulen – B. Houska: Interval Superposition Arithmetic for Guaranteed Parameter Estimation (in ). 2018.
Responsibility for content: prof. Ing. Miroslav Fikar, DrSc.
Last update: 27.03.2018 17:14